Ladies and Gentlemen, we have ourselves a win streak…
Saturday night marked the strangest place I ever got word of how a horse finished: Standing at a jukebox at a bar in Kendall, Wisconsin (population 450). A group of us were up in that area for a little bike riding along a popular trail (see the gang in the picture). I was trying to find the right song to follow up “Got Me Under Pressure” by ZZ Top. I should have instinctively just went to
‘Over My Head’ by the Frey, but never got that far. The rest of our group (Laura, her brother Ryan, sister in law Jamie along with Schlitz and Liz) were hanging out at the bar (which was empty except for us). I was considering going with an old standby, “Folsom County Blues” from Mr. Cash when I heard Laura yell from across the bar ‘Winner, winner!’ ‘Danny just texted ‘Winner, winner!’ Apparently, Jamie was using her phone when the text came in. None of us (except Laura) got phone reception up in Kendall and I had asked Danny to text her number when the race was over. Winner, winner? I couldn’t’ hardly believe it. Two in a row??? The jukebox would have to wait. I ran across the bar and took Laura’s phone outside to call Danny.
Saturday night marked the strangest place I ever got word of how a horse finished: Standing at a jukebox at a bar in Kendall, Wisconsin (population 450). A group of us were up in that area for a little bike riding along a popular trail (see the gang in the picture). I was trying to find the right song to follow up “Got Me Under Pressure” by ZZ Top. I should have instinctively just went to
‘Over My Head’ by the Frey, but never got that far. The rest of our group (Laura, her brother Ryan, sister in law Jamie along with Schlitz and Liz) were hanging out at the bar (which was empty except for us). I was considering going with an old standby, “Folsom County Blues” from Mr. Cash when I heard Laura yell from across the bar ‘Winner, winner!’ ‘Danny just texted ‘Winner, winner!’ Apparently, Jamie was using her phone when the text came in. None of us (except Laura) got phone reception up in Kendall and I had asked Danny to text her number when the race was over. Winner, winner? I couldn’t’ hardly believe it. Two in a row??? The jukebox would have to wait. I ran across the bar and took Laura’s phone outside to call Danny.In Over My Head was racing at Balmoral Park that night in a 3-year-old open event against some formidable foes. It was more or less a tune-up for our upcoming stakes event in DuQuoin this weekend. We were once again taking on My Boy Luke as well as a very talented horse named Doubletrouble and three other solid colts. The purse was small compared to some of our recent events ($7,000), but every dollar helps when it comes time to pay the bills at the end of the month. Once I got Danny on the phone, he gave me the verbal replay. Unlike our Springfield race, our driver (Marcus Miller) took Mo off the gate relatively cautiously and he fell back to 5th place going into the first turn. Much like Springfield, My Boy Luke gunned to the front. It stayed that way for until just past the half when Fox Valley Seth tipped off the rail and began a first over trip. Mo followed him and the favorite, Doubletrouble, followed Mo. That group of three slowly grinded toward the leader and at the head of the stretch, Fox Valley Seth had pulled even with My Boy Luke. That’s when Marcus decided it was time to send Mo to the outside and put the hammer down. The next quarter of a mile or so was fun to watch. Fun because we got a clear shot of In Over My Head just charging to the wire. He looked strong, he looked fast and as they crossed the wire, everyone else was looking up at him. He had just scored his second win in a row.
His final time of 1.52.4 was very good, just 0.1 off his best lifetime win mark. The number that caught my eye was his last quarter in 26.3. His stretch drive was amazing…just watching him charge home, giving it all he had. He showed strength, speed and heart. It was a thing of beauty.
The other positive part of that race was that he got a good trip and wasn’t used all that hard, which should make him razor sharp for next Saturday’s race in DuQuoin. The Hayes Memorial should have a purse of about $45,000 and I’m guessing a field of 8 or so. It should prove to be a bit tougher than Springfield, but I think Mo is ready. Maybe a State Fair sweep? We’ll see, I don’t want to put the cart before the horse.
No comments:
Post a Comment