We are one step closer to the first race of 2012. Last Wednesday In Over My Head got his first race-like work of the year by finishing a qualifying mile in 1.58.2. While the time wasn’t quite what we had planned, he was battling gale force headwinds that swallowed about 2 seconds from his last quarter. Since it was his first real speed work of the season, we had Dr. Tony come out the next day to check him out and the news was good. He said to put him right back in for his second (and likely final) qualifier this Wednesday. Assuming that goes well, we will be back racing the week after.
In what is hopefully our last quiet week before the start of the season, I wanted to take a second to remember one very small member of Team In Over My Head. Our bandwagon welcomes all, even creepy, crawly spiders and this particular one had a rather strange story that can be found here:
http://www.inovermyheadracehorse.blogspot.com/2012/01/update-and-story.html
Below is a little obituary I put together. Let’s hope Spidey is enjoying that big cobweb in the sky:
Spidey (2011-2012) – Spidey died peacefully in his web/ home above the Swenson garage window in February. A lifelong supporter of horse racing, Spidey was especially fond of the harness horse In Over My Head. “His story was truly inspiring,” Spidey would often tell fellow arachnids and insects. “He faced nearly insurmountable obstacles, but never gave up and kept a positive attitude throughout.” Spidey could potentially be survived by his or her offspring if they happen to emerge from the web-like cocoon that was placed in the tree outside the garage. In a way he is also survived by In Over My Head as he chose to transfer his life force to him at death. “This is a choice that animals have and I chose to pass it to Mo. I’m expecting a big season this year from him.”
In Over My Head released the following statement through his agent upon hearing the news, “I never met Spidey, but he/ she feels like a brother/ sister to me despite the fact we are not of the same species. I like to thank Spidey for his/ her support and will dedicate the 2012 season to him/ her.”
No comments:
Post a Comment