Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

I'll start by answering a simple question:  What are we thankful for this year?

In Over My Head of course.

We are thankful he has been able to make 11 starts so far this year.  We are thankful he is still healthy and going strong.  We are thankful for the great care he is getting from the Leonard family.  We are thankful Mo and Casey have really hit their stride as a driver/ horse combo.  We are also thankful for the surprise drive we got from Marcus Miller.

Since I am on location for Thanksgiving festivities, I have to keep this short, but just a quick comment on the race from last week.

That marks 3 wins in Mo's last 5 starts.  He proved (yet again) that he is as fast as about any horse in a short sprint and that he really likes to beat other horses in photo finishes.  I'll circle back and post the video link here next week, but I'll summarize the race very quickly.

He got off 4th.  Stayed 4th until deep stretch.  Casey found a seam and shot him to the center of the racetrack, got him straighten out and he powered by 3 other horses to win at the wire.  It was another one of those races where we thought at about the 3/4 pole, "well, we aren't going to win tonight".  We were wrong.  Again.  We love how Mo keeps surprising us.

The other really cool thing about this race was that it was the first race our son Jordan ever watched live.  Since Mo was in an early race (the 2nd) and we were in the central time zone, the race went off before his bedtime.  Even though he can't talk yet, I'm sure he was saying "Let's Go Mo" in his head.

Danny also had a fun experience as he watched the race on his phone at a wedding with a group of 8, some of which had never seen a race before.  That's always a risky thing to do since you never know how a race will go, but when he won, it was a blast for Danny and his table.

It is always fun to go into a 2 week break off a win and we have enjoyed this one.  The next stop for Mo is the Invitational and the plan is to enter him next week.  He's sharp.  Those top horses better watch out.

Let's go Mo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overview

Many people have asked me what it's like to own a racehorse. This blog is a play by play of one horse in particular. A three year old colt named In Over My Head that I own with my uncle...and although he doesn't have any dollars invested, my cousin is about as emotionally invested as humanly possible. It could end up being a story of success or failure, but if he's like all the others I've owned, it will no doubt be a roller coaster ride.