Below is the
result of a wonderful conversation between In Over My Head, Danny and myself.
February 27, 2014
In Over My Head (“Mo”): Is this thing on? (looking at the recorder
and laughing)
Shawn: How long have you planned on saying that?
Mo: Ever since you guys said you were going to
come down and interview me.
Danny: You seem to be in a good mood today.
Mo: Everyday my friend. I won a qualifier yesterday into the teeth of
the Polar Vortex. How many horses can
say that?
Danny: Not too many!
Mo: In Over My Head: 1.
Polar Vortex: 0.
Shawn: That is a pretty impressive feat. Let’s get down to business. The first question is a rather obvious
one: What are your goals for this year?
Mo: I know last year we all talked about setting
a goal based on the number of starts, not necessarily the number of wins. We had talked about double digit starts, and
we knocked that goal out of the park. I
think I had about a dozen starts.
Danny: You had 14
Mo: Thanks Danny.
Anyway, I’m thinking about really setting the bar high this year. I’m gunning for 20 starts.
Shawn: Wow, that’s a big number!
Mo: Sure is, it will give you guys lots of opportunities
to come and watch me race. I know Danny
will be there, right?
Danny: If you race 20 times, I bet I’ll be there for
at least 15 of them.
Mo: That’s dedication right there. Do you plan on making a race this year
(looking at me)?
Shawn: Atlanta is about 750 miles from Balmoral you
know. I’d love to be there, but it’s
tough.
Mo: Air travel, maybe? I can hop on Kayak.com…try and find you a
reasonable flight…
Shawn: I promise you that I’ll make it to a race or
two this year. If it makes you feel any
better, I usually talk to Danny until he gets to the Illinois/ Wisconsin
boarder after each race.
Mo: Really?
What the heck do you guys talk about for that whole time?
Danny: If you did well, we just talk about how great
you are. If you did poorly, we find a way to justify it and then end up talking
about how great you are.
Mo: I need to get on THAT call! Sounds like fun!
Shawn: It’s a labor of love sometimes. Particularly when you make a break going into
the first turn and get beat by 50. You
had us worried sick in your last start last year.
Mo: I got run into!
Danny: We’re just saying that sometimes the
conversations are really a lot of work.
That was one of them. It’s even
harder when I’m not at the track to get the report on the ground.
Mo: I see.
Well, I appreciate the support.
It’s always good to know people are watching.
Shawn: Speaking of people watching and paying
attention to you we wanted to ask you about your Twitter account. You’ve mentioned in the past that it is
something you have a lot of fun with.
Mo: I don’t have any sort of hard data in front
of me, but I’m guessing I am the only Chicago based, non-stakes, overnight
horse to have a Twitter page in the history of the entire platform. And I have like 100 followers! How cool is that? I mean, A Rocknroll Dance gets to talk about
big races and entertaining all these high class mares. Arch Madness is traveling the world. I’m grinding away in the freezing cold going
for $10,000 in a place that is really down on its luck and people still want to
know what I have to say. It’s really
pretty incredible.
Shawn: Assuming that the Chicago circuit can get
their issues resolved, we all think that it’s the best spot for you. Having that said, is there a part of you that
still get the itch to battle horses out east?
Mo: I get pinged by Tyler (Butenschoen) all the
time. He thinks I should make the trip
out, but he understands I have a good situation here too. I think he just misses me. To answer your question, yeah, I still get
that competitive edge going sometimes that makes me want to head out. I’d love to race at the new Meadowlands. It would be beyond sweet, but I can also
admit that those days may have already passed me by. I’m not sad about it. Heck, I’m just happy to be racing at age
eight. I have plenty of competition to
deal with here. The funny thing is that
the longer you go from your last injury, the less you think about it. The reality is that the going out there is
tough and I’m not sure if I could would up or not.
Danny: You’re in great shape and 8 isn’t really that
old. You’ve had injuries, but you only
have 62 lifetime starts. How about this
scenario: Chicago gets things worked out
and you race there all year. If they
find a fix for next year, you stay here until you are done racing at 10. If not, you can make a run out east at age
9.
Mo: Um, do you have some sort of contract to sign
so I can lock that scenario down? I
think you just nailed the perfect option.
Three more seasons of racing?
That would be like winning the lottery.
If that happened I’d be as happy as a pig in mud.
Shawn: How happy is that exactly?
Mo: Ahhh…I guess I’ve never actually seen a pig
in mud. I’m guessing they are pretty
happy though. Assuming the mud isn’t
half frozen. It’s probably been a pretty
sad winter for the local pigs.
Shawn: Agreed.
You mentioned local competition.
Who is the toughest you will see this season?
Mo: Well one is right there (nodding over toward
Fort Silky). That dude is tough, but he
knows I’m way faster (looking for a reaction from Silky who appears to be
sleeping). We get along great to be
honest. There is a great group of horses
in this barn. Another tough hombre is
obviously Al’s Hammered. I’ve out-paced
him in the past, but that didn’t happen last year. That guy flew by like he hit the nitrous
button on his souped up Honda Civic.
Danny: Was that a Fast and Furious reference?
Mo: It was!
Did you guys hear that Paul Walker died?
Very sad. I liked him the best. Anyway, I need to be sharper to beat Drunken
Al, but I think I’ll pull it off this year.
Shawn: Drunken Al?
Mo: Not bad, huh?
Shawn: Nice work bud. OK, is there anything else you’d like to say
before you kick off this season?
Mo: Yeah, I wanted to congratulate Marcus and
Sara Miller on getting married. I wanted
to thank them for the wedding invite and am sorry I couldn’t make it. I did send a gift.
Danny: What did you send them?Mo: A couple horse shoes and some hay cubes. My options were pretty limited around the stall.
Shawn: I’m sure they will appreciate them. It’s the thought that counts.
Well, there you have it. Our interview with In Over My Head. Look for him to start racing as soon as a contract is signed in Illinois. We are looking forward to another fun season.
Let’s Go Mo!
No comments:
Post a Comment