Saturday was a horse racing kind of
day. The buzz in the air was obviously
due to California Chrome’s run at the Triple Crown. The movie qualify plot was all but
written. The only thing left was a
proper ending. Life does imitate art
sometimes, but it didn’t on Saturday at the Belmont Stakes. California Chrome raced gallantly (in my
opinion anyway) and fell just short.
Laura and I were certainly in the
racing spirit and threw a little neighborhood party. Many patrons had no experience with racing
and their kids had probably never watched a race. We all gathered around the TV and were treated
to two and a half minutes of “Go Number 2!
Go Number 2!” It was off the
charts cute. Especially since Jordan was
clapping along while I held him. I was
excited that I was going to be able to tell Jordan that we watched Chrome win
the Triple Crown when he was just 15 months old. Unfortunately, it wasn’t meant to be, but as
I’ve said before horse racing isn’t always just about the wins and losses. It’s about making memories. While the race result was disappointing, I’ll
always remember that little party we had while we all cheered on California
Chrome.
Hopefully for the connections of California
Chrome, the run at the Triple Crown is just a single act in the script of his
racing life. While the owners were
certainly disappointed (and angry), I’m here to offer them some good news. With a horse like that, there are certainly
more acts to come. If he follows the
path of another horse I know, acts two and three may lack some of the pizzazz
of act one, but they will be as rewarding…and maybe even more so.
The Belmont Stakes captured the
national headlines on Saturday, but for Team In Over My Head, the main event
took place Saturday evening at Balmoral Park where our main character was about
to provide some new plotlines of his own.
Before I get into what happened this
week, I want to take a trip back to last week. Mo won.
Not only did he win, but he set a new lifetime mark of 1.50. He battled Holdingallthecards (also owned by
a Wisconsinite) to the wire in a great finish.
It was honestly one my favorite Mo wins.
So why didn’t I write about it?
Admittedly, I was a little superstitious.
We are creeping up on the two year
anniversary of Mo’s last great run. When
he rattled off five wins in a row from late May to late June of 2012. On the night we went for win number six, he
suffered an injury and was out for months.
We never knew for sure what caused the injury. We speculated that it was because he got
knocked a bit sideways in the first turn that night. We also thought it could have been the speed
of some big miles just catching up with him.
While that lifetime mark of 1.50 was
pretty cool, it also left me a little bit nervous. Would it just prove to be too much for
Mo? Would something bad happen this
week? After the excitement of the win
wore off, I really didn’t want to think about it. And really didn’t want to write about
it. Apparently, I wasn’t alone.
For about the twentieth time in the
racing history of In Over My Head, Danny and I were totally aligned in our
thinking about Mo….and we didn’t tell each other. Sometimes when this happens, our concerns
aren’t revealed until after the next race.
This week was no different. He
was nervous too. Can Mo handle back to
back 1.50 miles? The nice thing was we
didn’t have the conversation until after In Over My Head answered the question.
The field this week was very similar
to last week with one major addition of Fort Silky. With Mo’s stablemate in the race, we needed
to find a driver and were lucky Todd Warren was available. Todd had experience with Mo and just got
nipped at the wire by Al’s Hammered early in the season. Those two clicked well their first time out
and the proved to be the case again on Saturday.
With a small six horse field and
plenty of speed on the inside, Warren just took Mo to the back of the field and
waited for his time to go. That came
when Casey pulled Fort Silky first over and we followed him all the way into
the stretch. Both driver and horse patiently
waited for the right time to move and when Mo’s head jerked to the right, we
knew Todd had pulled the line. It was
time to see if he could mow the field down.
Last week Mo looked like he was going
to blow by everyone, but Holdingallthecards locked on and fought gamely to the
wire. Mo won by a neck. This week was different. Once he got rolling, Mo looked like a
machine. He powered past everyone to win
by almost two lengths and he was on absolute cruise control. Warren sat comfortably in the bike, knowing
there was no reason to ask any more of his drive. Mo tied is lifetime mark of 1.50.
After every race, there is almost
always a very distinct feeling. Last
week it was purse exuberance. Mo had
elevated his game yet again in setting a lifetime mark. The win gave him three wins in his last four
starts and Balmoral handicapper Jeremy Day remarked that In Over My Head was in
“career form” coming into this Saturday.
I couldn’t disagree, but when factoring in the concern we had about his
durability going these high speed miles, my feeling after this most recent win was
different.
I was very humbled. Humbled by just how good this horse is. Humbled by all of the work people have put
into making this happen. Humbled by just
how lucky we are that he has somehow managed to find “career form” at age eight
after all he’s been though.
A couple years back, Greg stated that
we will never own a horse as good as In Over My Head. His wisdom battled my youthful exuberance (36
is still “youthful” in horse ownership circles by the way) and I thought I
could find another Mo at some point.
Well, I’m here to tell you that Greg was right and I was wrong. I am 100% convinced that I will NEVER EVER own
another horse as good as Mo. This is a
million dollar + horse. This is a 1.48+
horse. Period. There is no debate allowed. He won’t get to those numbers because of his
injury shorted career (he’s missed 32 prime racing months), but it’s a fact. If you disagree, I will invoke the words of
the great Ron Burgundy by saying “I will fight you.”
I was chatting with my good friend
Brien Duroche this weekend. He’s heard
me tell the tale of In Over My Head for years now. He’s as shocked as anyone that Mo is still
racing. Brien said a bunch of folks were
talking about California Chrome this weekend at his country club near
Minneapolis. They were astonished by his
story. Brien broke in and cut them all
off. “You want to hear a story about a
horse? I’ve got one that will blow the
California Chrome story away!” For the
next fifteen minutes, they were all hanging on a story about a horse none of
them have ever seen on TV or read about in traditional media. They loved it. They were so fired up about the story that some
of them went and placed a bet on Mo to win that night. Mo delivered.
Again. No one should be
surprised. The legend of Mo continues to
grow.
Unlike California Chrome, there will
never be a movie made about In Over My Head.
No big book deal. But the fact
that Mo’s story means so much to someone like Brien, makes writing this little
blog worth every minute I’ve put into it.
Mo’s story needs to be told and it is an easy one to tell since Mo keeps
delivering incredible content.
Act 1 took place at the end of his
three year old and early four year old season winning the Windy City Pace and
briefly making a name for himself at the big track out east. That was back in 2009/2010. Act 2 was a summer win streak at age six in
2012. Either one of those could make a
career, but In Over My Head has decided that two acts are not enough.
Nice post. thanks for the shared with us, best web design sites free
ReplyDelete