Friday, January 12, 2018

In Over My Head: Horse, Sire and now a Stable

Earlier this week I took a look at the stats for this In Over My Head blog webpage and noticed that it had just under 100 page views in the last week.  This happens periodically.  My assumption is that someone finds the page and reads the story from start to finish.  It is kind of crazy to think that it was nine years ago this Monday that Greg, Danny and I traveled to New Jersey and bought In Over My Head out of the Meadowlands sale.  He’s changed the trajectory of our lives in some ways and given the fact that people are still finding this page and reading the story, I thought I’d give a couple of updates.  The story of In Over My Head continues to live on in a couple of different ways.

As Fast As You in the foreground with his half brother
His Offspring

Our dream of seeing In Over My Head as a sire has taken off beyond what we thought was possible and this is really due to the outstanding care and focus of his current owner Lesa Peters.  Lesa has done a fantastic job promoting Mo throughout the Minnesota and Iowa circuit and through 2017 and two breeding seasons he has bred over 30 mares.  He has nearly a 100% success rate in getting mares in foal (at-a-boy Mo), which I think has really helped him and should continue to as he enters his 3rd breeding season.  His oldest are yearlings this year and they look fantastic.  I know I’m biased, but it is a fact that his offspring look the part of a Grand Circuit horse.  He is a striking individual and he is passing that off to the next generation.  A year from now, we will start thinking about how they will fare on the racetrack, which is going to be fantastic to watch.

Our little In Over My Head (As Fast As You) is doing great and is also under the wonderful care of Lesa down in Iowa.  I have included an updated picture from just before Christmas and he is clearly starting to grow into himself.  Our plan is to get down to see him again in the spring.

Our Stable

Sometimes in life, a frustrating situation can lead to a new opportunity and that is exactly what happened this fall.  While we failed to get ourselves a horse down in Springfield last September (as mentioned in the last post), we did meet what tuned out to be our future co-owner in Jeff Davis of Dandy Farms.  Since then, we’ve picked up a couple of racehorses with him in the Indiana bred Southern Flight and OMG Hanover.  Both are off to a great start for us and have been fun to watch race.  We also were fortunate to get part of another yearling with John Butenschoen down in Lexington.  So after a couple years of struggling to get some new horses, the cup suddenly run-eth over! 


After picking up these new horses Danny and I decided to form a new stable to own them, but our biggest hang-up was the name.  Swenson Carey Stable?  Do we use initials?  Come up with something else?  It was on our trip back from Lexington that it hit us square in the face…we need to be named “In Over My Head Stable”.  What better way to carry on the story of Mo than to use his name on every horse that we plan to ever own.  So, if you even see “In Over My Head Stable” down as an owner, you can know that it ties back to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Overview

Many people have asked me what it's like to own a racehorse. This blog is a play by play of one horse in particular. A three year old colt named In Over My Head that I own with my uncle...and although he doesn't have any dollars invested, my cousin is about as emotionally invested as humanly possible. It could end up being a story of success or failure, but if he's like all the others I've owned, it will no doubt be a roller coaster ride.